G.F. Ranch

The beginning of His vision

Wish I Drank!

on September 14, 2016

No, I really don’t because I quit smoking a couple of months ago, still not super strong and I know a drink would make an immediate craving for a cigarette. No thank you!  But yesterday was NOT a great school day.  Any day that calls for a back pack (Bug) and book bag (teacher) usually means it will not be smooth sailing.  That part of it was not his fault.

Hubby had to head back to the rig today.  And I had to make up my dr. appointment today that I missed because I forgot to grab the paperwork (and school bag); so when we got to the office, there was only time for Hubby’s appointment.

We managed to get spelling done today.  We worked on it numerous times in between waiting for the nurse to call me back, then for the N.P. to come in, then while waiting for blood work and finally finishing at home.  Bug was already getting frustrated because ‘he kept misspelling the same words’.  He definitely didn’t like when I made a comment that I didn’t want to listen to him whine about it since he never bothered to spend a few minutes reviewing the ones he got wrong.

Then we went on to Algebra.  That could have been the worst decision!!!! The first five lessons were much easier than we counted on but yesterdays lesson sucker punched us!  It tried teaching about 4 -6 things about roots and radicals, while doing a very poor job explaining some of it.  Thankfully we always have other math books on hand that we can look for further explanation.  That and will have to Skype with First Born very soon!

I had an extremely sobering thought last night.  I was only 2 years older than Bug when I took Algebra in school.  That can be taken two ways….1)  I had 2 more years of math and maturity under my belt than he has and 2) that was 30 years ago!!!!!! Three decades!!!  My teacher had a rule, if we were sleeping, talking or not paying attention for any reason, if he called on us and we could answer the question, we would not get in trouble.  I was always doing one of the above, but always able to just look at the problem and spit out the answer. I would have to pay attention in class now.

I think he went brain-dead for a bit which didn’t help things that were only compounded on with other things like fining food wrappers in his dresser drawers that just had stuff stuffed into them.  The lack of order pushed to the edge and the food wrappers pushed me over!!!

We had to take a break!  Bug ended up napping for a couple of hours and I watched some crafting videos. We went back over the same classroom problems we did yesterday and we are about in the same place.  We understand about 60% and only kind of or not-at-all understand the other 40%.  But we both remained calm and joyful.

I also came up with a way to show him the frustration I feel when I am still, after 3 or 4 years repeating the same things and continue to get a ‘ooops, sorry”. I (lightly) punched him in the shoulder. Then I told him to imagine that I was to punch him four times as hard as that each time and when you correct me, I say ‘sorry’.  I would wait a few minutes in between each time and always say ‘sorry’ every time I punched him.  He would even offer his other shoulder when it was time, but I told him it had to be the other shoulder.  After the 5th time of repeating the actions I asked him, “at what point will you question or stop believing I’m sorry?”  He replied after the 3rd.  continuing to make my point, I clarified, “after the 3rd time?  Or after the 3rd week?  3rd month?  Year?”  You could see the lightbulb shine bright as he shook his head and said “I get it now Mom”.

Anyways, I just needed to share my frustrations.  Some have told me I get to serious or uptight about homeschooling.  I don’t disagree when there is a tremendous responsibility on my shoulders to provide my son with a good education.  And how am I suppose to teach my son something if I can’t understand it?

Well, thank you for letting me vent.  If you have any encouragement to share, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: